Hand Of is currently seeking up to three new Trustees, including a new Chair, to support the charity’s ongoing work supporting and enriching the education of disadvantaged children across England. This is an exciting opportunity to join the charity as it enters a new phase of its development, finding new ways of engaging and interacting with children through in-person projects.
1 | What is Hand Of?
Hand Of is an arts and education charity (charity no: 1175512) established in 2017, dedicated to enriching the education of disadvantaged children and young people. We work together with schools, heritage buildings and archival institutions to deliver projects which positively impact children’s educational experiences, allowing them to express their imaginations by collaborating with artists and exploring their local history.
We work with ‘at-risk’ children, in particular those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), English as an Additional Language (EAL), and children from disadvantaged backgrounds (Pupil Premium Grant, PPG). We believe every child should be given the chance to develop and grow into the smart young person that they can be – full of ideas, able and keen to rise to challenges.
Hand Of runs multiple projects annually and operates with a turnover of c.£50k-£80k. Whilst our projects normally take place in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Durham and Northumberland, over the past 12 months we have concentrated our efforts in the North East of England, where our charity is based.
The charity consists of two part-time CEOs: Louise Snape and Rob Hughes, based in Newcastle.
The Board of Trustees has five current members (3 women; 2 men) with backgrounds and expertise covering Arts and Music, Governance, Fundraising, Finance, Charity Administration, HR, Organisational Management.
2 | Personal Specifications
We’re looking for passionate, hard-working individuals, whose experience and connections will help Hand Of grow and secure its financial future at an important time in the charity’s development. We are a small charity, looking to develop new projects, grow our team, and become a permanent force for real change. If you have a passion for education, heritage, and the arts, and want to help our vibrant, exciting, forward-thinking charity, we’d like to hear from you.
Hand Of is a national charity and although not essential, we are particularly interested in appointing new Trustees based in the areas we currently deliver our work: Newcastle, Northumberland, Durham, Liverpool.
We are looking for up to three new Trustees with skills and connections in one or more the following areas:
- Have previous experience of chairing or sitting on charity boards
- Have a background in working in learning and participation work and/or with SEND children
- Have legal experience, potentially within a charitable setting
- Have a background in charity finance management
Hand Of is committed to equality, diversity and inclusivity throughout all of its work. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from potential trustees from underrepresented culturally and ethnically diverse backgrounds or who would self-identify as disabled.
3 | Main Responsibilities
In addition to your statutory responsibilities as a Trustee, we expect you to:
- Contribute to the development of strategic direction and future planning, while monitoring delivery of existing programmes
- Scrutinise and monitor the planning/budgeting processes
- network and advocate on behalf of the charity, actively championing our work through your own networks and contacts.
- Work closely with Hand Of staff and provide advice on your area of expertise
- Support and encourage the charity to deliver its fundraising strategy, including with corporates, Trusts and individual donors .
- Evaluate the performance of the charity, its staff and the board itself throughout the year
- Acting as a sounding board and being able to provide alternative scenarios while evaluating strategic plans, contributing to the risk management process
Please note: Trustees are volunteers and not remunerated for their time. Basic expenses such as travel costs to meetings can be covered in some circumstances by the charity.
4 | Time Commitment
- The Board meets a minimum of 4 times a year, currently via Zoom.
- You will need to actively champion the charity throughout the year, utilising your contacts to promote the work of the charity, and to aid in fundraising where possible.
- The CEOs may email or meet with you from time to time for advice; working groups may be set up where needed, to assist with specific projects or requests.
- You will be invited to visit all of the projects and their final performances across the country.
5 | The Recruitment Process
To apply, please email your CV, a completed Equality Monitoring Form (download below; not mandatory), and a one-page covering letter outlining why you are interested in joining the board and what skills you would bring, to: email@example.com
Existing Trustees will shortlist candidates and invite individuals to an informal discussion over Zoom with the Interim Chair, a Trustee and members of the Hand Of team. Following that, our procedure is to invite potential new members to observe a board meeting before being formally appointed and accepting a position on the board.
Recruitment of Trustees is an on-going process and we are always happy to hear from people interested in Hand Of’s work – please do get in touch at any time.